At the Twin Cities Regional Spelling Bee, the top spellers in grades 4-8 from Metro area schools compete against each other. Students increase their vocabulary, improve their spelling, and develop useful language skills for life.
Each school champion qualifies for the semifinals, which is a 50-item computer-based spelling and vocabulary test. The top 50 spellers then compete at the Twin Cities Regional Spelling Bee. The champion will go to Scripps National Spelling Bee in National Harbor, Maryland.
2023 Regional Winners
Pictured from left to right:
First Place: Vihaan Kapil, Agamim Classical Academy, Edina
Second Place: Arya Carlson, Capitol Hill Magnet, Saint Paul
Third Place: Esther Van Arnem, Scott Highlands Middle School, Apple Valley
Schools that enroll in the 2023 Bee program receive the following benefits:
- Exclusive online access to the teachers-only section of spellingbee.com.
- Official pronouncer guides for use in conducting classroom and school spelling bees.
- The Great Words, Great Works reading list with all source books, organized by reading level.
- Supplemental vocabulary materials for classroom and school levels.
- Customizable certificates for your participants and school champion.
- Britannica Online for Kids: A one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids to award to a participant in your school’s spelling bee program. If your school enrolls on or before September 30, your school receives TWO one-year subscriptions to Britannica Online for Kids.
- Study Materials: The 4,000-word Words of the Champions study guide for school champions that includes the 450-word School Spelling Bee Study List.
The per-school registration fee through Scripps is $175.
The fee for the Twin Cities Regional Spelling Bee for the top 50 spellers is based on Metro ECSU membership status. To find out if your school/district is a member, check the updated list here.
– Metro ECSU Member: $99/speller
– Non-Member: $130/speller
The deadlines for the 2024 Bee will follow a similar schedule as below.
|December 31, 2022||Scripps School Bee registration closes|
|January 27, 2023||Final date to hold School Bee|
|February 1, 2023||Deadline to register your School Bee champion for the semifinal online test|
|February 6 – 13, 2023||Semifinal online test is available until February 13 at 11:59 pm|
|February 17, 2023||Semifinal online test results are released|
|February 17, 2023||Top 50 qualifiers are notified to participate in the Regional Bee|
|February 22, 2023||Deadline to enroll your qualified semifinal champion in the Regional Bee|
|March 9, 2023||Twin Cities Regional Spelling Bee at Fridley High School Auditorium (Door 12)|
6000 W Moore Lake Dr NE, Minneapolis, MN 55432
5:00 – 8:30 pm (approximately)
Thank you to our 2023 sponsors! Your donations help fund venue rental, travel costs for the 1st place winner to attend the Scripps National Spelling Bee , coordination of the program, and more.
If you would like to learn more about sponsoring the Twin Cities Regional Spelling Bee, you can view the sponsorship levels or contact Katie Wenzel at 612-638-1554.
At the Spelling Bee, students…
Utilize skills of goal setting, good sportspersonship, public speaking, and strong communication.
Learn usage, meaning, and history of word components.
Increase their vocabulary and develop cognitive abilities and learning strategies.
For more information about how your students can participate, if you are interested in volunteering as a judge, or if you’d like to sponsor the Bee, contact Katie Wenzel at 612-638-1554.
(612) 638 – 1500
SBC presents its programs in collaboration with Metro ECSU. Metro ECSU member districts can participate in SBC programs at special member rates. For more information, visit www.metroecsu.org.