Presented by Success Beyond the Classroom in partnership with Southeast Service Cooperative
Links to Monthly Content
See what a local educator has to say about SBC’s Virtual Young Authors Conference:
“Geoff Herbach’s and Marie Olofsdotter’s videos were exceptional and so appropriate for these young–yet often experienced writers.“
This year (2020-2021), the Young Authors Conference is going online! From October to May, Virtual YAC will feature unique content each month, including:
- A mix of 3 live/recorded sessions led by professional writers. Live sessions will be recorded and posted. Sessions will run approximately 30-45 minutes including writing activity;
- Q&A with local writers that is topic-specific (for example, developing characters, sports writing, dialogue, the writing life);
- Weekly blog featuring videos created by members of the Minnesota writing community sharing their creative writing passions, tips and tricks, and highlighting new and bestselling YA and children titles;
- Teacher/Parent Resource – Virtual Book Club with Desdamona, YAC’s open mic emcee, Spoken Word Artist and performer; and
- Space for SBC to feature the work of our young writers (online writing gallery curated by SBC).
Monthly Book Club Resource with Desdamona
You know her as the open mic emcee at YAC, Spoken Word Artist and performer, Desdamona! Each month, Des will select a MG or YA title and create a recorded video for teachers. Desdamona will model what a virtual book club meeting could look like. Videos will feature questions related to theme and characters, as well as writing prompts and conversation starters.
October: Dragons in a Bag by Zetta Elliott
November: Blended by Sharon Draper
December: The Unsung Hero of Birdsong USA by Brenda Woods
January: More to the Story by Hena Khan
February: My Life as an Ice Cream Sandwich by Ibi Zoboi
March: The Collectors by Jacqueline West
View the Featured Authors for Each Month Below:
2020-2021 Theme: Words Have Power
Words and stories hold tremendous power: they spark imagination, inspire confidence, help heal, honor family, show gratitude, demonstrate kindness, and share truth.
Watch Young Authors Conference author, Geoff Herbach, introduce Virtual YAC and share a great story related to our theme.
Red Balloon Bookshop & SBC
If you’ve been to the Young Authors Conference at Bethel University in the past, you already know about the AMAZING bookfair that Red Balloon Bookshop provides us every year. SBC has partnered with Red Balloon Bookshop for many years now and we couldn’t stand not having them be a part of this new, virtual year. When you shop at Red Balloon Bookshop online, enter the code “YAC2020” for a portion of your sale to go to Success Beyond the Classroom.
With the Young Authors Conference, students…
Are challenged and encouraged to be better writers.
Leave with new strategies, ideas, and skills to become a better writer.
Learn that strong writing skills are important in life.
For more information about about the Virtual Young Authors Conference or if you are interested in becoming a presenter, contact Colleen Feller at 612-638-1511.